Necessary Steps for a Successful Website
Power Pages Web Design will help you through every step of the process in your quest for
customized Internet advertising solutions. This list may be printed as a check list as to
the services you will need. Check each one as they are completed.
- Domain name selection and registration - Selecting a domain name that includes keywords
improves search engine ranking. Registration can be done through our site. If you already
have a domain name, but would like to switch web hosts, include all necessary information to
change the DNS so the name will point to the new location of your files.
- Web host selection and registration - Choosing a host depends a lot on what kind of
programming will be used. For example, PowWeb.com web hosting uses a Linux server and
supports PHP/CGI scripts commonly used for interactive services such as shopping carts,
photo galleries and blogs. It is not a Windows server, so it does not support Visual
Basic/Active Server Pages. Please do not select a host before discussing it with us.
If you have a host, please tell us before we begin programming. Thank you.
- Logo creation and/or integration to web site - If you have a logo, submit a printed or
an electronic copy to us. If you would like us to create a logo, we can create two copies.
A web site copy in RGB that is optimized for Web and a print copy in CMYK that can be used
in print advertising. Please notify us in advance if you want both copies. Thank you.
We recommend that you purchase the copyrights to your logo, so you have exclusive use, rights and control.
- Banner advertisements - Advertisements for use in link exchanges and directory listings are available in
any requested size. We will recommend standard full, half and button sizes to load to your server.
When a banner is needed, the other party can obtain your banner directly by typing your domain name and the
file name. Displaying banners with contrasting colors to the site in which it appears makes them more noticeable.
Having a selection of banners for your advertisers will be to your benefit. We will keep the original banner files
in case you would like to make modifications to them (change phone number, address, other).
- Graphics, Photos and Image selection, creation and/or integration - If you provide paper images, we
can scan them. Electronic images should be in GIF, JPG or PNG format for the web. We can create images or take photos with
a digital camera upon request.
- Text contents selection and integration - Provide papers or electronic copies
preferably in txt or doc format. Please notify us if you are using a Mac, because we are usually using a PC.
We will accept recordings and other methods of sharing text
contents, but text format reduces spelling and grammatical errors.
- Web design layout and site navigation planning - We will discuss how the site will look and how the pages link to
other pages. If there are sites that you like, tell us their URLs, so we can see what you like about them.
This will help you plan your site.
- Programming, including interactive elements - Programming includes the code necessary for search engines to find the site
and to display the contents. It also includes forms, database integration, shopping carts, polls,
and more. Including a chat room involves a moderator to make and enforce the rules of the chat. Consult other sites
with chats before you decide you want to offer this. Guestbooks are available, but can be abused by those who insult,
use inappropriate language or use the information posted to bother other people. I received email from someone who found
my post. This site tested a guestbook, and it didn't get many comments which is common for most sites. Most comments will
simply be emailed. Some guestbooks contact you if someone signs you guestbook and also allows you to remove the post if you desire.
After reading several guestbooks, I would recommend those options.
- Site testing in-house first, then online - If the web site works on the computer in our office, we will upload it and
test it online in the most popular browsers. We also design mobile browser friendly websites.
- Site modifications - Any corrections, additions, deletions or last minute changes will be made to satisfy our agreement and/or
to fulfill any request.
- Complete service to everyone's satisfaction - We may include a link from our site to yours in the portfolio section,
the links pages or maybe even another page upon request, if appropriate. You will receive at least one free link in
exchange for a link back to our site, as long as your site is family friendly. A comment at the bottom of your home page, stating that we created your site,
will appear on your home page and link back to our site. Your site should be complete to your satisfaction and ours.
- Site maintenance reminders - An occasion email reminder will ask you if any changes have
occurred that should be included in your web site. You may have photos of employees that
need to be added, removed, or updated. Maybe you include a photo of your business, but you
changed locations, and now you need to change the photo and your contact information. Any
number of changes may have happened should be updated on your site. It is easy to forget
to include these in your web site. That is why we send reminders. Do not delete them.
Review your site and reply to the email by telling us of any necessary changes, if any.
You may contact us at any time, and you may request not to get the reminders, but they are
- Site maintenance - To stay listed in the search engines, your site should be updated.
Even if no changes are necessary, the pages should be resaved and reuploaded to the server,
so the search engines believe your site is up to date and still relevant.
To get people to revisit your site, you should make changes, so the visitors notice new things.
Of course, any other necessary changes will be made, if you choose to get the site maintenance service or request changes.
- Search engine listing -
If you choose this service, we will submit your site to the
search engines listed in your agreement. Each search engine requires time to review all
the sites they receive. You're site may not be listed for months and even when it is, you
will probably not be in the top 50 sites. Search engine optimization services are needed
to boost your ranking. Directory listings are highly recommended. Telephone directories, business directories
and directories designed for your topic or location are inexpensive additions to your advertising campaign.
- Search engine strategies - Many search engine strategies will already be included with web site
design services. They include proper title, meta tags and proper coding. Related links exchanges will further boost
your link popularity. When your number of visitors increase, your site popularity increases. Keyword density is importand
to determine your relevancy to the site search. Ask about these services before the site is created for best and quickest results.
We can provide search engine information, services and referrals upon request.
- Multimedia web contents - Audio and video to enhance the website are optional and depend on your budget.
See our services or contact Power Pages Web Design for more information.
© 2001-2016, Power Pages Web Design. All rights reserved.